Registrants must meet one of the criteria below in order to attend an EMDR Basic Training. If you have any questions about eligibility, please contact Janet Wright prior to registration. You will be expected to begin the use of EMDR with at least two cases during the course of this training. If this is not possible, please apply at another time.
Janet Wright reserves the right to reject any applicant that does not meet these requirements; the normal Refund Policy will apply.
Licensed Mental Health Professionals
- Qualifying Medical Doctors must have specialist training in Psychiatry and also must be licensed to practice in their state.
- Qualifying Registered Nurses must have a Master’s Level psychiatric nursing degree and must be licensed to practice in their state.
- Qualifying mental health clinicians must have completed a Master’s Level or Doctorate Level Graduate Program in the mental health field (Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, Psychology, Psychiatry, Social Work) or related mental health discipline considered appropriate by EMDRIA (www.emdria.org) AND also must be licensed or certified through their state or national credentialing board. In the state of CO, unlicensed psychotherapists must be registered with DORA and have a licensed supervisor send in her/his licensure information.
- Licensed professional counselors with degrees in the expressive arts or in addiction treatment will need to be reviewed by EMDRIA before acceptance into Basic Training. Please contact EMDRIA directly (1-512-451-5200 or see their website) for review of eligibility before applying to this training. You may submit the approval documentation (which can be in the form of an approval email from EMDRIA to you) with your application for Basic Training.
- If you are a registered UNLICENSED therapist/counselor, see the next section.
- Qualifying graduate students must be enrolled in a Master’s or Doctoral level program in the mental health field (Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, Psychology, Psychiatry, Psychiatric Nursing, Social Work) or related mental health discipline considered appropriate by EMDRIA. Students must have completed their core graduate academic coursework and must be in the practicum/internship portion of their graduate program. Graduate students must be on a licensing track and working under the supervision of a fully licensed mental health clinician. The internship site must accept the intern using EMDR with their clients.
- Graduate students who are enrolled in a Master’s program in one of the following fields must submit their graduate course transcript to EMDRIA to determine their eligibility: Art Therapy, Christian/Pastoral Counseling, Drug/Alcohol Counseling, and Music Therapy.
- Students who would like to take the basic training will need to submit the following documentation in order to determine eligibility for registering for an EMDRIA Approved Basic Training.
- Please send a letter from your current Supervisor, which includes the Supervisor’s degree information, licensure information and license number, where internship work is being done.
- In the letter, your Supervisor must also state that she/he approves of your participation in this EMDR Basic Training, that she/he approves of EMDR being practiced in your internship, and that she/he takes on the legal liability and responsibility of being your Supervisor.
- Please note, although it always helps, it is not required that your Supervisor be trained in EMDR for the supervisor to approve you for this training.
- We need to receive your letter from your supervisor before you can register for the training.
- A graduate transcript and verification of practicum or internship hours may be required.
If you meet these eligibility requirements, please proceed to the registration page.